Friday, July 13, 2007

A Reaction Paper to Hon. Josue Bellosillo's "Young Lawyer's Move On..."

by: Marianne Audrey C. Mahusay - Bonjoc


Why do I want to become a lawyer? I asked myself this question after I read the essay of Hon. Josue N. Bellosillo. Do I really want to become one?

After a moment of reflection, I realized that my reason of entering law school is for me to achieve a dream i have long been carrying. To place a tag of ATTY. before my name. But there is a deeper reason why i want to be part of the legal world. I want to help change people's lives. I want to correct the wrong doings of mankind and iron out the perception of Justice being meant only for the affluent. The poorest of the poor live in a belief that there is no chance of them being heard thinking that they have no space in this world. Isn't the law made for everyone? Is it not also made for the penniless creatures in society? I believe that correct practice of the legal profession could change this misconception.

Being a lawyer is not just earning money. It is not just gaining prestige. It must be a commitment to pursue the calling with utmost rationality, honesty, integrity and dedication. But, as Hon. Bellosillo said, “you must first reconstruct yourselves by deconstructing your lives. Reject and discard what is wrong, wicked and false. Center instead on what is central and essential to man. For the overall effect of a life well lived, is a transformation in culture, a deep orientation away form the imperial heroics of progress and futurism towards an appreciation of a rich past and renaissance of an old wisdom.” I have always believed that transformation and reformation starts from within. It starts not with other people but from within me. Change is what i want, then change is what i will give. And being a law student aiming to be a lawyer is a big opportunity to create that change in the society.

The Code of Professional Responsibility is a helpful guide for lawyers. It must be learned by heart and be applied in the daily interactions of an attorney. As a young lawyer, one should master this code and carry it with him in his heart and mind. By doing so, he will never go wrong. He will be respected, adored and be looked upon by many. He will be followed and be imitated by the younger generation, then change will start to spread out.

If God allows me to be the lawyer that I've long been dreaming, i will do as Hon. Josue Bellosillo stated, “as young lawyers, make a good and meaningful start, then move on and share in the unfolding of the Divine Plan for the whole mankind. For it is only in sharing with others your spirit, your heart, your mind, your soul – by giving strength to the weak, voice to those who have none, and hope to the hopeless – that you will find genuine meaning and substance in the law profession. Then you will know – truly know – what it takes to be an authentic lawyer...”

Well, i still have a long way to go!

No comments:

Great Pacific Life vs. CA

  G.R. No. 113899,  October 13, 1999   FACTS: A contract of group life insurance was executed between petitioner Grepalife) and DBP. G...